Gilby is a world renown unicyclist, internet entrepreneur, globetrotter, and inventor of the TinyURL.
A couple websites created by Gilby
- TinyURL.com takes those long unwieldy web addresses and turns them into short links that are more usable in many different mediums. Created in 2002 to solve a problem he encountered when writing some software for unicyclist.com to create a gateway to and from an email discussion list and web based forum. It's been used by Twitter, on other social media, in email marketing, in print media, over the phone, and in numerous other places.
- Unicyclist.com is the community for unicyclists, with a massive knowledgebase of unicycling discussions going back to 1995.
Gilby on the web
Gilby in the media
- "Tiny idea, big wheel", Star Tribune
- "Honey, I Shrunk the URL", Wired Magazine
- "50 Best Websites 2008", Time Magazine
- "TinyURL.com: The next YouTube? Perhaps not $1.6B's worth, but...", ZDnet (Interview and speculation)
- "TinyURL: Making long URL's short", Minnov8
- "The Genius Behind TinyURL Explains How He Gets The Links So Small", The Onion (though that's not Gilby in the photo)